Friday, February 6, 2009

Family Gems

I get these quotes emailed to me by "Family Gems". I think I signed up for it through the church website. This is the one I got today:
Parents Should Lovingly Correct a Child’s Actions
“When a child needs correction, you might ask yourself, ‘What can I say or do that would persuade him or her to choose a better way?’ When giving necessary correction, do it quietly, privately, lovingly, and not publicly. If a rebuke is required, show an increase of love promptly so that seeds of resentment may not remain. To be persuasive, your love must be sincere and your teachings based on divine doctrine and correct principles.”
Russell M. Nelson, “Salvation and Exaltation,” Ensign, May 2008, 9-10
Everyday I think about the kind of mom I am going to be, and the best way to go about handling different situations. I am pretty sure in 20 years I still won't have it all figured out, but I can tell you I won't be one of those mom's screaming at their kids and gritting their teeth in Target cause they keep putting crap in the cart and whining. That is the beauty of being almost the oldest in such a large family, you can tune out anything!
Anyway, I am just glad that we recieve counsel from the church on virtually anything we may struggle with.

1 people gave their 2 cents:

Gregory said...

Ready or not, HERE IT COMES! I never thought that would would get to 36 weeks (Megs even more), but here we are. Megs brought in one of her onesies the other night and put it in my arms and I couldn't even speak. I am SO FREAKIN' EXCITED.
You are going to be such a good, funny, and exciting mom.
We will keep you posted about the baby. Megs is already feeling some pretty strong early labor signs. It may not be 40 weeks after all. (Knock on a MAJOR piece of wood!)