Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Black Bean Chili


Last night I made this really good, easy, (this is the only chili I have ever made that didn't come out of a can, go into a bowl, and get nuked in the microwave... so seeing as how it was from "scratch" in my opinion it was easy) Black Bean Chili, and it wasn't until I was thinking how flavorful it was that I realized how HEALTHY it is... so I thought I would share.

You Poo-tahns need to hurry and make it while you have rain this week!

4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped green chiles
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
Salt
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
Directions
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
To the pan, add chiles, beans, tomatoes and their juice, 2 cups water, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of the stew. Return the puree to the pan, and add frozen corn; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.


Trent made Marie Callender cornbread as a side and it was good!
It brought back a memory of when Trent made me chili when we were dating. He pretty much poured some beans in a pot with a GIANT bottle of spaghetti sauce, it was so disgusting.

1 people gave their 2 cents:

Anonymous said...

ooo...that sounds yummy! I am always looking for good recipes. As for the c-section recovery- it honestly wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. I was up and going after about two weeks. It was still a little sore, but I could do pretty much anything. I actually didn't mind having a c-section at all. The delivery was wonderful (you don't feel a thing!), your baby has a great head shape (no cone-head), and the recovery is not bad at all!