Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 7

**I meant for this to go up Sunday

So far in Isla's 7 days of life, this is what she has experienced:

  • 4 heel pricks
  • getting her stomach pumped
  • blood drawn from inside her elbow
  • an IV in her head
  • about 10 other pokes on her body trying to find a vein so they don't have to put the IV in her head while we stood out in the hall and heard her scream for an hour and a half
  • laying under bili lights for 24 hours and could only be held during strict half hour feedings every 3-4 hours
  • 4 nights at the hospital
  • ultrasound on her gallbladder and spine... to find out if she may need a liver transplant!

Needless to say, it's been a rough week on her, but she appears to have the memory of a goldfish and is doing just fine. Plus, each time they weighed her at the hospital she peed on the scale, so I told her, "That's my girl, way to show 'em who's boss."

Oh, and she doesn't need a liver transplant, we really appreciated the doctor telling us about that posssibility before he was more sure... it was a long 24 hours before the ultrasound was finally done.

It's funny how, each time she cried or each day that has gone by, or each time she had to be poked again, I love her more and more, and it's harder and harder on me. But, now we are enjoying life... and waiting for her to poo, it's been 3 days.

and Greg: I do LOVE the smell of it.

2 people gave their 2 cents:

Adventures in Healing said...

Girl, WHAT is going on? Please call me. I've been thinking of you and silly me didn't even check your blog until just now. Keller was hospitalized for a week from the time he was 1 week old till 2 weeks old and I know how very stressful and hard it is. We couldn't feed him for 30 hours and he was on an iv for the week. Pammie had the bili lights. I still have those tiny 'blinders'. I'm so sad for you but I hope things are better now. Good news about not needing the transplant! We thought Keller would need a kidney one (still a possibility but not a really big one). Oh my heart is just broken for you. Going through that with a child changes your relationship with them and it will never be the same because of it.

The Simmons Family said...

Cherie, you and your little family are in our thoughts and prayers. Our little boy had to have surgery on his back when he was just 3 days old and had to be on the bili bed for a couple of days. I know how upseting it is to see your perfect baby in such pain. I hope everything gets better real soon!!